When you think about the option of elopements; some people might perceive it as two kids running away from home and getting married without their parents knowledge or permission. The idea of running away, doing something sneaky and adventurous, sounds dirty to some, exciting to others and most would say not for them.
Elopement could not be further from its misconception. This is how "I" define elopement and why I think this is the coolest option when it comes to marriage options.
1. A gathering of 10 people or less, that are present to celebrate and participate in the marriage of two people.
2. Elopements can be just for two (the couple), and can be formal in dress and tux, or casual in flannel shirts and jeans.
3. Elopements can take place at a formal venue, with all the options of "regular" weddings. These ceremonies can also take part in a house, back yard, park, museum, coffee shop, and more. The fact that you can pick a place that is special to you , that is possibly free and no setup, is what is appealing to me.
Who is most likely to choose this option?
1. People who live far away from family and do not feel the need to spend thousands of dollars for just the two of them. Most of the time they want to elope and do a big celebration later with family and friends.
2. People who are shy and do not feel comfortable in front of crowds.
3. People who are on a budget and cant afford to rent venues.
4. People who do not feel comfortable in a religious or civil venues.
5. People who just want to do something that is meaningful to them as a couple.
Reasons vary as people vary, and each person is different and their feelings and beliefs should be considered since it is the most special day in their life.
I have performed elopements in a state park which had a beautiful cave. The couple recited their own vows. Their artistic personalities opted to make rings from the stems of leaves that were all over the park.
Another couple I performed a wedding for, were big fans of the movie "A Nightmare Before Christmas". This couple dressed the part of the couple "Jack and Sally" from that movie. They had the best time, decorating the home and themselves to bring their story to reality in their home.
Most of the elopements I perform, is something that the couples really love and which is why I perform the ceremonies the way I do. During the initial consultation, I try and get a sense of what their story is, what they believe, what their style is and what they have in mind. When the day arrives, I deliver a custom scripted ceremony, with the elements they want and the intimacy and respect they deserve. Their meaningful, intimate, and customized scripted ceremony typically last 12 minutes or less.
Elopements in my opinion, should be meaningful, pointed in purpose, delivered with care and considerate of time and budget constraints.